Monday, January 2, 2012

So here we go. I hope you won't judge me if my grammar is off, I am just writing things down as they come to my head. I want to put this all down as a motivator for me to finally make this dream happen. I am putting this out there because I find that if I am the only one to know my struggle, I just keep it in and that makes it worse. So I turn to you...I put my path out there so that I can in some way I have to answer to you when I fall of the wagon.

So what is the issue? I AM FAT! How did i get here.

I can probably give you a sob story (and I will) but ultimately I did this to myself. As a kid, I ate tons of Mexican food. I couldn't help it, my mom was a good cook. I don't really remember being overweight as a kid, but I sure do remember kids telling me I was. Then came 8th grade, when something happen and I actually lost weight! That was short lived because as soon as I got to high school, Fat Churt was the term. I don't think this was done is a mean way, the way some bullying is done, but I think I let it get in my head. I believed I was fat.
College rolled around and there is where it really all went down hill. I found a picture of myself and I can't believe that I was actually not fat. But I kept believing that I was. Sophomore year was when I layer on the pounds. I didn't put on the freshman 15, but it felt like I did sophomore 60. Yes that is an exaggeration, but I did put on some pounds. Senior year was worse. With the stress of actually needing to finish college, food is the only thing that was always there for me. Not to mention my mom would always volunteer to bring home ice cream and french fries after BINGO.
There was no room for rest after that, grad school could not let undergraduate beat it. I kept ballooning, but at a slightly smaller pace. By the time I knew it, all the thinking that I was fat...had become true. I now was really overweight.
Those of you who know me, know the struggle with my parent's health. My dad had a stroke and my mom had breast cancer. How did I deal with this after school...food! To make a really long story short, before I knew it, I got to where I am know...240!
I think back to the one thing that started to make a difference...Jenny Craig. But can you believe I got kicked out! I have a problem with my balance and all the salt in their prepared meals was doing a number on me so I had to get out. In the three weeks I was on the program, I had lost 15 pounds, but out I went.

Talk about feeling like a loser.

I went to the doctor's office (new doctor) and we had a long talk about my weight. He was really nice and shared he struggled with the same problem. There was something he said that really made me decide I have to make a change.

"Do you want someone else to raise your children?"

I know the greatest gift I have is my kids. I need to be there for them. There came a point when I decided to stop blaming God for having lost my parents and I blamed the diseases that took them. I can't put my kids through the same. If I don't make a change, it is my own fault for not making the change. I would have done it to myself.

So here I am. I am putting my struggle out there. I am going to let anyone who cares know about my progress and I ask you to challenge me to stick with it.

My Goal: to be down to 180 by age 40

Let's get going!

7 comments:

  1. You can do it brother!, I find it interesting it's that I always felt the same way growing up, I look back at myself in pictures and realize, I wasnt the fat kid I thought I was, only the fast kid I believed I was. If that make sense. I too come from families where my mother ultimately died by heart attack at 55 , when the same year I thought I was going to lose my dad whom also suffered a heart attack. You inspired me to stop making excuses and make the choice to live a healthy life. I don't have a family of my own yet, but I dint want to ge the father that gets winded by taking a few steps while playing with his children. I know you know that this well be a life time commitment, and I want you to know that I will be there with you through this journey. Keep your head up, I know you can accomplish your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orale compadre! I will be right there with you. We all have choices in this world and we all own our results of our choices. It's time to take the bull by the horns and steer that sucka down. I didn't start off heavy but I sure did find out how hard it is to take the pounds off once I put myself in supersize mode. Remember, when it comes to eating, we do not eat things we want to eat because we are on a diet-- we do it because we are choosing to live a healthier life style for ourselves. We have to take care of ourselves before we can take care of others. Cliche, I know, but holds true none the less. Anything I can do to help... Just let me know. Love you man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do this, Gerry...and we'll all be here, cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gerry, I just read your blog and all I can say is good luck to you, it is a struggle at times, but you can do it! I have always had weight issues since I was 14 years old and it wasn't until I was in my 30's that I had to lose weight because of health issues (in my case, gluten insensitivity). The first two months were the hardest of my life, I literally thought of giving up and just living with the pain and discomfort, but as time went on, I found that my limited gluten choices meant I had to come up with more creative ways of making delicious dishes without gluten products in them. These days, i don't miss all the gluten products as much as I did in the beginning and I can honestly say I feel better than I have in years. I also learned to eat much healthier and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gerry,
    Just checking in to see how your weeks been going.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sticking with it! I plan to write an update this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete